Dunham Bridge
Dunham Bridge is a toll bridge across the River Trent in England. It spans the border between the administrative counties of Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire to the west and east respectively. It forms part of the A57 road, in the section between the Great North Road and Lincoln. It takes its name from the nearby village of Dunham-on-Trent.

History
Until the bridge was built and opened in 1832, the crossing of the river was by Dunham Ferry. In 1814, the fare was reported at half a crown. The bridge was established in the 1830s, under the powers of the Dunham Bridge Act 1830, when a group of local businessmen built the original cast iron construction. It was a four-span cast-iron structure by the civil engineer, George Leather (1786-1870). The superstructure was rebuilt on its original piers in 1975-7 to trunk road standards. A new toll plaza was opened in 1994 by the Right Honourable Mr. Michael Dennis, doubling the number of lanes through the booths from two to four.

Tolls
The tolls were last increased on 1 March 2007 after a public enquiry that concluded in 17 October 2006. Tariffs are regulated by the Department for Transport. Passage is free on Christmas Day and Boxing Day; three-wheeled invalid carriages are exempt from tolls all year round.

Future
The bridge owner, Mr Edwin Francisco Payne and deputy Bridge manager, Australian Bruce Webster (pronounced Web-sta) are both setting aside substantial funds for the bridge's eventual reconstruction.

Next road crossing upstream River Trent Next road crossing downstream A1 road Dunham Bridge Grid reference: SK819744 Trent Bridge, Gainsborough