Dumbarton BridgeEdit profile
The Dumbarton Bridge, also known as the Q Street Bridge and the Buffalo Bridge, is a historic masonry arch bridge in Washington, D.C. It was built in 1914-15 to convey Q Street Northwest across Rock Creek Park between the city's Dupont Circle and Georgetown neighborhoods. The bridge is famed for its four buffalo sculptures by Alexander Phimister Proctor.
The bridge is curved because the section of Q Street NW in Dupont Circle is slightly north of the section in Georgetown. To accommodate the bridge’s approach on the Georgetown side, the Dumbarton House was moved a few blocks westward, from its original site next to Rock Creek to its present position on the north side of the 2700 block of Q Street.
The Dumbarton Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 16, 1973.