Dresden Hauptbahnhof
Dresden Hauptbahnhof (usually translated from German as Dresden Central Station, short form: Dresden Hbf) is one of two main inter-city transit hubs in the German city of Dresden. Designed by Ernst Giese and Paul Weidner, it was built between 1892 and 1897 at the southern border of the inner city and was important in the growth and development of the city.

Construction
Dresden Hauptbahnhof has 18 tracks. Eleven carry traffic through the station whilst the remaining seven, all from the west and located in the middle of the station, are terminal tracks. This layout makes Dresden Hbf unique among German central railway stations. The station is divided into three halls, the central one of which is the biggest and covers the terminating tracks. The arrivals hall is situated in front of the terminating tracks giving the station the character of a terminal station. The new 30,000 m² roof, covered by a canopy made from Teflon-coated fibre glass, was designed by Foster and Partners with fabric roof design by Buro Happold and other structural design by Schmitt Stumpf Fruhauf and Partner. The reconstructed building was nominated for the 2006 Stirling Prize and won the 2007 IStructE Award for Heritage Buildings.

History
Dresden Hauptbahnhof is part of the railway system that provides direct connections to Berlin, Prague and Nuremberg. Opening in 1897, it replaced three stations in the south of the city. The station was damaged by the bombing of Dresden starting in February 1945. This was limited in extent until a specific attack in April 1945. The station was repaired after the war. It had suffered significant damage to the train sheds and the glazing that had previously covered the train sheds was replaced by timber. In the postwar era Dresden Hauptbahnhof became one of the important railway stations in East Germany. However, the legacy or wartime damage subsequently compounded by poor maintenance saw the structure deteriorate to the point where remedial conservation was required. Assessments of the structure during its 1997-2006 refurbishment project further revealed that the steel arches of the train shed had even been distorted out of alignment by wartime damage. It was also discovered that the structure had been damaged by corrosion since the war, rendering it unsuitable to carry the weight of a glazed roof and leading architects to use lightweight fabric instead. During the floods in August 2002, the station hall was badly damaged by flooding from the river Weißeritz. The entrance hall and the lower platforms were flooded up to one metre by muddy water from the left tributary of the river Elbe coming from the Ore Mountains. Major damage to several tracks around Dresden closed the station for a month. The main reconstruction project was only temporarily interrupted. In 2007, the station's reconstruction was a contender for the £20,000 Royal Institute of British Architects Stirling Prize for excellence in architecture in Europe.

Operational usage

The station is operated and owned by the Deutsche Bahn Group subsidiary DB Station&Service . Regional and long distance services call at the station. The station is part of the InterCity and ICE network. Night services are provided by DB NachtZug trains. EuroCity services also call, providing connections to Prague in the Czech Republic. The daily passenger numbers of about 50,000 are relatively low compared to other German cities of the same size. (The central station of Bremen, a city of comparable size, handles around 100,000.) This is because Dresden has two stations at which long-distance trains call: Dresden Hauptbahnhof and Dresden-Neustadt.

In brief Number of tracks 18 main line passenger, (of which 7 are terminal tracks) Trains (daily): 600 Passengers (daily): 50,000

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com