Dr Gray's Hospital

Dr. Gray's Hospital is the smallest District General Hospital in Scotland. It is in Elgin, Moray, and is part of NHS Grampian. It is also part of the Moray Community Health and Social Care Partnership (MCHSP).

The hospital was founded as a result of a bequest by Dr Alexander Gray (d. 1807), who was born in Elgin but worked as a surgeon for the East India Company. His will was contested by his family, but eventually his bequest of £20,000 'for the establishment of a hospital in the town of Elgin for the sick and poor of the county of Murray (Moray)' was proven in the Court of Chancery, and work on building the hospital took place between 1815 and 1818. The hospital opened on 1 January 1819.

A £22m. redevelopment of the hospital, which is situated at the western end of the town's High Street, took place between 1992 and 1997. It provides secondary care for the Moray and some of North Aberdeenshire. It has Consultants in General Surgery, Urology, Orthopaedics, ENT, Ophthalmology,Accident & Emergency, Anaesthetics, Radiology, General Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Oncology, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and Psychiatry. Junior doctors mostly rotate from Aberdeen, but other trainee doctors are attracted from all over the world. Dr Gray's is recognised for the excellence of training it offers to junior doctors, medical students, trainee radiographers, student nurses, and other Allied Healthcare Professionals.

Footnotes

Coordinates: 57°38′46″N 3°19′42″W / 57.64611°N 3.32833°W / 57.64611; -3.32833

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com