District School No. 9Edit profile
District School No. 9, sometimes referred to as the Old Stone Schoolhouse, is located on NY 17A 1.4 mile (2.3 km) south of Goshen, New York. One of the first schools in the county, it remained in use for well over a century, possibly two.
Its year of construction is not known. It falls sometime between 1723, when a local landowner deeded the surrounding 20 acres (8 ha) to the community for school purposes; and 1792, when the Goshen Repository carried an advertisement for a teacher for the school.
Legend has it that, during the Revolutionary War, George Washington was riding by on a trip from nearby Florida to his headquarters at Newburgh, and stopped briefly at the school to talk to the children.
Long referred to as the Borden Quarry School for a nearby excavation site, it was in use continuously until 1938. Fifty years later it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It is maintained today by the Minisink Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
The schoolhouse from the rear