Dexter Building
The Dexter Building was a landmark building located at 630 South Wabash Avenue, in the South Loop area of Chicago, Illinois. The building was designed by the firm of Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan, and built in 1887. Prior to its destruction in 2006 it was one of the earliest surviving Louis Sullivan buildings, and was considered a precursor of the nearby Auditorium Building. It was designated as a Chicago Landmark in 1996 and was described by the Landmarks Division of the City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development as an "irreplaceable link in the chain of work of one of the nation's most important architectural partnerships".

The building was commissioned by Wirt Dexter, a Chicago attorney and real estate developer. Originally it was used as a factory and showroom for the R. Deimel & Brothers furniture manufacturing firm. From 1967 it was the home of the George Diamond Steak House, and the upper floors later housed the Sawyer Secretarial College.

On 24 October 2006 scrap dealers were cutting up a boiler in the basement for salvage when acetylene torches sparked a large fire that gutted the building. At its peak, the fire, which started in the basement at around 3 pm, was a five-alarm fire, the Chicago Fire Department's highest level of alert, with over 250 firefighters responding. Following the fire, the surviving shell of the building was too unstable to save and was demolished.

In popular culture
The Wirt Dexter Building can be seen in the near background of one scene in the 2001 movie Just Visiting. Also visible in that and the following scenes are other South Loop buildings like 623 South Wabash which is now part of Columbia College Chicago and the 7th Street Hotel, now referred to as the South Loop Club since 7th Street has not been called that since it was renamed Balbo Drive in 1933.