Deutsches Jagd- und Fischereimuseum

Edit profile
Deutsches Jagd- und Fischereimuseum
The Deutsches Jagd- und Fischereimuseum ( German; translated German Hunting and Fishing Museum) is a museum exhibiting objects regarding the history of hunting and fishing in Germany or other territories which nowadays belong to it. Located in the city center of Munich, Bavaria, it is a rare institution worldwide. The building has been a church ( Augustinerkirche ) which was part of a large Augustinian monastery between the 13th century and 1803.

History
Around 1900, as hunting being at its (last) height of popularity, people asked for a hunting museum. In 1934 the Museum has been finally established. During World War II, most of the objects were saved in Schloßgut Ast near Landshut, Bavaria. All other objects were lost because of looting. After the war, there was a big discussion about the further structure of the Reichsjagdmuseum. In 1958, the year of the 800 city founding anniversary, the decision in favor Augustinerkirche has been made. The "Deutsches Jagdmuseum" has been re-opened on Hubertustag, 3 November 1966. In 1982, fishing has been added as an object of interest. At the same time, the museum has been renamed to "Deutsches Jagd- und Fischereimuseum".

Collection
The museum exhibits about 500 wild stuffed real animals, including an Irish Elk, a Cave bear and several endemic Fresh water fish. The collection include fishing equipment, hunting weapons (esp. 15th to 19th century), large sledges presenting a time span of several centuries. Furthermore, several historic Wolpertinger creatues, Bavarian fictional animals, are on display.