Detroit Public LibraryEdit profile
The Detroit Public Library ( DPL) is the second largest library system in Michigan by volumes held (after the University of Michigan Library), and is the 20th largest library system in the United States. It is composed of a Main Library on Woodward Avenue, which houses DPL administration offices, and twenty-three branch locations across the city. The Main Library is part of Detroit's Cultural Center Historic District listed in the National Register of Historic Places adjacent to Wayne State University campus and across from the Detroit Institute of Arts. Designed by Cass Gilbert, the Detroit Public Library was constructed with Vermont marble and serpentine Italian marble trim in an Italianate architecture style. His son, Cass Gilbert, Jr. was a partner with Francis J. Keally in the design of the library's additional wings added in 1963. Among his other buildings, Cass Gilbert designed the United States Supreme Court in Washington, DC and the Woolworth Building in New York City.
A stand-alone public library in Detroit dates back to 1865. An 1842 state law requiring the Detroit Board of Education to open a library resulted in a public reading room opening on March 25, 1865 in the old Capitol High School at State and Griswold Street. In 1872, the Centre Park Library opened at the current location of the Skillman Branch in downtown Detroit at Gratiot and Library Street. The first branch library opened in 1897 when the Detroit Water Commission library was opened to the public; in 1905 this library was turned over to the Detroit Library Commission. Several additional branches opened shortly afterwards, including one in the Old Main building of Wayne State University. But it was not until 1910 when Andrew Carnegie, the great American library philanthropist of the early 20th century, donated funds did Detroiters decide to build a larger central library to supplement Centre Park. Property near Woodward and Kirby was purchased and in 1912 Cass Gilbert was commissioned to construct his design of a three-floor, early Italian Renaissance-style building. Due to delays and World War I, the Main Library did not open until March 21, 1921. It was dedicated June 3, 1921. The north and south wings opened on June 23, 1963 and added a significant amount of space to the building. The wings were connected along the rear of the original building and a new entrance created on Cass Avenue. Above this entrance is a mosaic by Millard Sheets entitled The River of Knowledge. As part of the addition, a tripych mural was added to the west wall of Adam Strohm Hall on the third floor. The mural by local artist John Stephens Coppin is entitled Man's Mobility and depicts a history of transportation. This mural compliments a tryparch mural on the opposite wall completed in 1921 by Gari Melchers depicting Detroit's early history. Detroit Public Library is also a founding member of the Detroit area library network (DALNET). Historically, DALNET ran the Integrated Library System (online library catalog) for the library but the library later purchased its own servers, after the mainframe computer era began to wane, and the library now runs its own systems. The library continues to be a member partner in the consortium.
The Detroit Public Library is a publicly funded, independent, municipal corporation. The Detroit Public Library Commission whose members are appointed by the Detroit Public Schools Board of Education, is the governing authority for the system. The commission establishes policies and administer the funds. There are 7 Library Commissioners, with the seventh commissioner being the current president of the Board of Education, who is an ex-offico commissioner. Library Commissioners are appointed to 6 year staggered terms. There is an annual general meeting where the president, vice president, and secretary of the commission are elected, and monthly meetings held at the Main Library which are open to the public. The commission appoint and hires the Director, Deputy Director and all other employees are hired by the commission, upon the recommendation of the Director.
The Detroit Public Library offers users books, magazines, records, CDs, videos, DVDs and electronic materials through access to subscription databases. It also houses the Burton Historical Collection (named for historian and donor Clarence M. Burton), the Hackley Collection, and the National Automotive History Collection. Additionally, there are online collections, including one on Detroit Tigers and Baseball Hall of Fame radio broadcaster Ernie Harwell. The Ernie Harwell Online Exhibit is part of the Burton Historical Collection.The Detroit Public Library Online Catalog
The library also offers practical advice to Detroiters through their TIP service, short for The Information Place. Librarians and support staff have access to a TIP database and offer free community information and referral service on matters such as food, housing, transportation, financial aid, legal advice, education, counseling, health care and family support. Library clients can search the TIP database themselves when visiting the library.
- John F. Gray Branch
- George Van Ness Lothrop Branch ( Demolished October 2009. Was located on the southwest corner of South Warren Avenue and Grand Boulevard South )
- Henry M. Utley Branch ( 8726 Woodward Ave. Now "The Family Place". )
- Magnus Butzel Branch ( Demolished 1998. Was located on the southwest corner of Harper Ave ( I-94 Service Road ) and East Grand Boulevard )
Branch Address Herbert Bowen Branch 3648 W. Vernor/W. Grand Blvd. James Valentine Campbell Branch 8733 W. Vernor/Springwells Chandler Park Branch 12800 Harper/Dickerson Henry Chaney Branch 16101 Grand River/Greenfield Jessie C. Chase Branch 17731 W. Seven M./Southfield Edwin F. Conely Branch 4600 Martin/Michigan Douglass Branch for Specialized Services (formerly The Frederick Douglass Center for Specialized Services) 3666 Grand River/Trumbull Divie B. Duffield Branch 2507 W. Grand Blvd./14th St. Thomas A. Edison Branch 18400 Joy Rd./Southfield Elmwood Park Branch 550 Chene/Lafayette Benjamin Franklin Branch 13651 E. McNichols/Gratiot Bela Hubbard Branch 12929 W. McNichols/J. Couzens Thomas Jefferson Branch 12350 E. Outer Drive/E. Warren Elisabeth Knapp Branch 13330 Conant/E. Davison Abraham Lincoln Branch 1221 E. Seven Mile/Russell Main Library 5201 Woodward Ave Mark Twain Annex/Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church 4741 Iroquois John Monteith Branch 14100 Kercheval/Eastlawn Francis Parkman Branch 1766 Oakman Blvd./Linwood Redford Branch 21200 Grand River/W. McNichols Gabriel Richard Branch 9876 Grand River/Stoepel Sherwood Forest Branch 7117 W. Seven Mile/Livernois Rose and Robert Skillman Branch (formerly Downtown Library) 121 Gratiot / Library Laura Ingalls Wilder Branch 7140 E. Seven Mile/Van Dyke