Detroit Cornice and Slate Company Building

Edit profile
Detroit Cornice and Slate Company Building
The Detroit Cornice and Slate Company Building is an Beaux-Arts style industrial office building located at 733 St. Antoine Street (at East Lafayette Street) in Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1974.

History
The Detroit Cornice and Slate Company was started by Frank Hesse in 1888. In 1897, the company hired Harry J. Rill to design a Beaux-Arts three-story building for their use. The building was used by the company until 1972, when lack of storage and parking space forced the company to relocate in Ferndale . In 1974,the building was renovated for office and commercial use by architect Bill Kessler. In the early 1990s, the Metro Times newspaper moved into the building; in the 2000s, a wraparound addition was constructed to increase room for the newspaper.

Construction
The facade of this building is constructed from finely crafted galvanized steel. These metal facades permitted elegant ornamentation to be constructed quickly and cheaply, particularly in locations like Detroit where stone was not easily obtainable. The Detroit Cornice and Slate Company itself fashioned many of the building's simulated carvings from sheet metal.