Detroit-Columbia Central Office BuildingEdit profile
The Detroit-Columbia Central Office Building is a building located at 52 Selden in Detroit, Michigan. It is also known as the Michigan Bell Telephone Exchange. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.History
The Detroit-Columbia Central Office Building was commissioned by the Michigan Bell Telephone Company in 1927 at a cost of $1.2 million. The "dial system" office building, buiilt to relieve the function of earlier "manual" exchanges, originally served around 7000 telephone customers in the central Woodward Avenue district of the city. The building is still owned by AT&T, a successor company of Michigan Bell.