Desert Laboratory
The Desert Laboratory at 1675 West Anklam Road, Tucson, Arizona was founded by the Carnegie Institution in 1903 to better understand how plants adapted to arid desert environments. Numerous long term ecological experiments were created on the 860 acres (3.5 km 2) around Tumamoc Hill. The facility and staff were key contributors to what is now considered the science of ecology, including participating in the creation of the Ecological Society of America in 1915 and the Ecology journal. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965. ,

History
Acting on the authority of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, Frederick Vernon Coville Botanist of the USDA and Daniel T. McDougal of the New York Botanical Garden chose Tumamoc Hill as the location of the Desert Laboratory in February, 1903. It opened in October of that year. It is now operated by Tumamoc: People & Habitats, part of the University of Arizona's College of Science.

Directors
Its current director is Michael Rosenzweig

Hiking Trail
Currently, the public is allowed to walk up to the top of Tumamoc hill, but there has been some vandalism which has led to discussion of closing the area to the public.