Dental Hospital, ManchesterEdit profile
The Dental Hospital was established in 1884 in association with the School of Medicine at Owens College. It was then at Grosvenor Street, Chorlton on Medlock and in 1892 removed to another house, in Devonshire Street. Fund raising was slow in response to a public appeal and only in 1908 was the hospital able to occupy a new building on Oxford Road next to the Manchester Museum, designed in the Edwardian Baroque style by the architects Charles Heathcote & Sons. In 1905 the University established a degree and a diploma in dental surgery (these were first awarded in 1909 and 1908 respectively). A contribution from Godfrey Ermen towards the cost of building the hospital is recorded on a stone tablet near the entrance. In the 1940s a new hospital was built further west on Bridgeford Street through the generosity of Sir Samuel Turner (architect Hubert Worthington, 1939”“40): later this was extended from three wings to four, by the south wing of 1951-52. Turner (1878”“1955) also endowed a Dental School at the Victoria University of Manchester; the Dental School and Hospital donation was £99,000. This is now the University Dental Hospital of Manchester and more recently has been enlarged by the construction of an additional top floor in the 1990s. The old hospital building was later used for scientific teaching and later still by the Manchester Museum which still occupies it.