Demidov BridgeEdit profile
The Demidov Bridge (Russian: Демидов мост) is a bridge across the Griboyedov Canal in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It connects Kazansky and Spassky islands.
The bridge got its name from the surname of the known Russian powers Demidovs. It connects two parts of the former Demidov street (today Grivtzov street), named so because Demidov family owned a large section of land nearby. Initially it was planned to name the bridge Bank Bridge, but this name was already taken by Bank Bridge.
In the beginning of the 18th century, at the location of the modern Demidov Bridge, there existed wooden bridge, named Saarsky bridge, since it was on the road to Tsarskoe Selo.
In 1834-1835 the single-span arched cast iron bridge was constructed by the project of the engineers E.A. Adam and Pierre-Dominique Bazaine. The arched span of the bridge consisted of 91 cast iron boxes, which were fastened by the bolts. Bridge supports were made from stone, coated by granite.
The casting of the bridge railings has high artistic value. Their ornament has a form of palmettes (artistic motif based on the fan-shaped leaves of a palm tree). Bridge entrance features floor lamps. In 1954-1955 the restoration project took place under supervision of architect A.L. Rotach. The lost lamps, poles and railing fragments were replaced.
Several houses near the bridge have special memorial plaques on their facades, noting the level of the water during the catastrophic flooding on November 7, 1824, described by Pushkin in the Bronze Horseman poem.