DeLamar MansionEdit profile
The Joseph Raphael De Lamar House is a mansion located on 233 Madison Avenue and the corner of 37th Street in New York City.History
It was designed by C. P. H. Gilbert and built in 1902-05. It is a Beaux-Arts Second Empire mansion, the largest in Murray Hill, New York and one of the grandest in all of New York. The building houses the Consulate General of Poland in New York today. Captain De Lamar built this house as a family residence for him, but this magnificent and lavish building had never been used according to the initial intentions. Joseph De Lamar soon divorced and his daughter Alice never found happiness in that home. After the death of De Lamar in 1918 at the age of 75, the mansion was sold to the American Bible Society, and in 1923 the National Democratic Club purchased it for its headquarters. In 1973, Republic of Poland bought the mansion.
The De Lamar Mansion was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1975.Image gallery
One of the representative rooms with ceiling paintings and gilded stucco
Neo-baroque cartouche with floral painting at the ceiling
Staircase with leaded glass skylight