Deane Winthrop House

The Deane Winthrop House is an historic house at 40 Shirley Street in Winthrop, Massachusetts. Deane Winthrop (1623–1704) was the son of the second Governor of Massachusetts, John Winthrop.

The oldest part of the house may have been built around 1638. The bulk of the original building was built about 1675 with an addition made in 1696. It is currently owned by the Winthrop Improvement and Historical Association and is open to visitors by appointment. This building is one of the oldest wood frame houses in the country and is the oldest continuously lived in home in the United States. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. In 2009, an addition was made to the barn to store Winthrop Improvement and Historical Association artifacts and documents .

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com