Deacon West Octagon HouseEdit profile
The Deacon West Octagon House, built in 1856 (1854) by Deacon Josiah West, is an historic eleven-room octagonal house located at 370 High Street, in Pewaukee, Wisconsin. The wooden sign posted in front of the house states, "Josiah West 1854 Octagon House." It is only one of 19 such structures in the state. West sold the house to Ira Rowe in 1866, and in 1870 it was partially destroyed by fire, but its strong 18-inch-thick (460 mm) cement walls remained standing. In 1873 Col. N. P. Iglehart of Kentucky bought the house and rebuilt it. The restoration included a mortar finish called grout. The roof was crowned with a belvedere, allowing a better view of the lake, village, and the countryside, but it was destroyed in a windstorm in the early 1900s. The house passed through several owners until Margaret Ann Kirley sold the house to her son and current owner, Jeffrey D. Kirley in 1998. It features stucco covered walls and a metal peak in lieu of a cupola.
On May 12, 1975, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.