De Grey Mausoleum

The de Grey Mausoleum in Flitton, Bedfordshire, England, is one of the largest sepulchral chapels in the country. It is a Grade I listed building. The Mausoleum contains over twenty monuments to the de Grey family who lived in nearby Wrest Park.

The cruciform Mausoleum has its nave set against the north side of the chancel of the adjacent church of St John the Baptist and its south transept overlaps the east end. The oldest part of Mausoleum was built circa 1614, the eastern parts were added in 1705. The architect Edward Shepherd worked on the building during 1739–40.

It is in the guardianship of English Heritage and is open to the public.

The monuments
  • Henry Grey, 6th Earl of Kent and his countess Mary Cotton (1614)
  • Henry Grey, 10th Earl of Kent (1651) and his countess Arabella (1658)
  • Lady Elizabeth Talbot (1651)
  • Lady Jane Hart (1673)
  • Charles Grey (1623) and his son Henry Grey (1639), slabs
  • Lady Henrietta de Grey (1703)
  • Henry de Grey (1717)
  • Lady Amabel de Grey (1727)
  • Lady Anne de Grey (1770)
  • Anthony Grey, Earl of Harold (1723), by Dowyer
  • Thomas Philip, 2nd Earl de Grey (1859), by Matthew Noble
  • Henrietta Frances, Countess de Grey (1848), by Terence Farrell
  • Henry Grey, 1st Duke of Kent and Marquess de Grey (1740), by Edward Shepard, effigy of the duke attributed to J. Michael Rysbrack
  • Jemima de Grey (1728)
  • Sophia de Grey (1748)
  • Ann Sophia de Grey (1780)
  • Philip Yorke, 2nd Earl of Hardwicke (1790), by Thomas Banks
  • Jemima Yorke, 2nd Marchioness Grey (1797)
  • Amabel Hume-Campbell, 1st Countess de Grey (1833)
  • Mary Robinson, Baroness Grantham (1830)
  • Harry Grey, son of George, Earl of Kent (1545), a brass removed from the church
External Links
  • History and audio tour: English Heritage
  • Teachers' resource pack: English Heritage

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com