David Crawford HouseEdit profile
The David Crawford House is located on Montgomery Street in Newburgh, New York, USA. It is a neoclassical mansion built by Crawford, who had made his fortune in Hudson River shipping, in 1834.
In 1958, Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Hudson Highlands purchased the house to prevent its demolition for a planned parking lot. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, and became a contributing property when the Montgomery-Grand-Liberty Streets Historic District was established the following year. Today it is the headquarters of the society, which operates it as a museum open to the public on Sundays and for special events. It has a collection of historical artifacts, particularly boat prints and models related to Crawford's business in an exhibit on his life.
The historical society obtained a grant from the state in 2007 to repair the roof, chimneys, gutters, and facade. It is currently trying to raise the matching funds.