David Bradford House
David Bradford House, in Washington, Pennsylvania was the home of David Bradford, a leader of the Whiskey Rebellion. It is designated as a historic public landmark by the Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation.

History
Bradford built the first stone house on South Main Street in Washington, Pennsylvania in 1788, which, by frontier standards, ranked as a mansion. The handsome stairway was solid mahogany; the mantel-pieces and other interior furnishings, imported from Philadelphia, were transported across the Alleghenies at considerable expense. While restoring the house a secret underground passage was discovered leading to a nearby ravine. This tunnel was presumably used as an escape route in the event of an attack on the house. In 1959, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission assumed control of the house and supervised the restoration of its eighteenth-century design. The furnishings are those which were used at that time in Pennsylvania and would reflect Bradford's place in society. A management agreement was signed in 1982, turning the management of the Bradford House over to the Bradford House Historical Association. The museum is open from early May through mid December, giving group tours and hosting other special events. The home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1983. It is located at 175 South Main Street in Washington. The Bradford House is owned by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission and is managed as a historic house museum by local volunteers for the Bradford House Historical Association. The house is open for tours seasonally, and contains period furnishings and changing exhibits.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com