Dacre Castle is in the village of Dacre some 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) south-west of Penrith, Cumbria ( grid reference NY461266). In 1307 William de Dacre was granted licence to crenellate his dwelling on the site. (Actually the crenellation is for Dunmallard Hill, about 1/2 a mile away) The present building is a pele tower rather than a castle which was built in the 14th century for protection against the Scots. In 1675 Thomas Lennard, 15th Baron Dacre and 1st Earl of Sussex made additions to the tower. When the Earl died in 1715, his possessions were sold off. The castle was bought by Edward Hasell of Dalemain and it remains part of the Hasell estate. It is unusual in that it has been occupied almost continuously from the 14th century.