Cushing HotelEdit profile
The Cushing Hotel is a historic hotel built in Afton, Minnesota in 1867. It was a modest wood-framed structure that housed railroad workers, lumbermen, and travelers.
The village of Afton was organized in 1858, in Paterson's Hotel. The first hotel burned to the ground in 1861, so Charles C. Cushing built the second hotel in 1867. Charles Cushing died in 1876, and his wife maintained the hotel. In 1907, "Mother Mary" Pennington acquired the Afton House and operated it until her death in 1946. In 1960, Mssrs. Smith and Myers bought the building and added the Catfish Saloon. In 1967, on its hundredth anniversary, new owner Hugh Andersen remodeled the hotel, adding a dining room and a screened porch. Gordon and Kathy Jarvis purchased the hotel in 1976 and began more remodeling, with work supervised by a local woodcarver. They had the hotel listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.