Curwood CastleEdit profile
Curwood Castle is a small castle, now a museum, located in Owosso, Michigan. It was built in 1922 and was home to author James Oliver Curwood, who used one of the turrets as a writing studio. Jim Curwood was born in Owosso in 1878. He built this replica of a Norman chateau along the banks of the Shiawassee River near his home in Owosso in 1922 and 1923. The exterior is made of yellow stucco containing fieldstones he chose himself. The roof is slate with copper trim. The structure does not contain any eating or sleeping areas. He used the great room to entertain guests, including movie producers, and the largest turret as his writing studio. A hunter in his early years, Curwood later became a zealous conservationist, and was appointed to the Michigan Conservation Commission in 1926. He died a year later at age 48. In his will, the castle was given to the City of Owosso. It has served in various capacities over the years and is now a museum operated by the city, and is open to the public.