Cumberland TerraceEdit profile
Cumberland Terrace is a terrace on the eastern side of Regent's Park in the London Borough of Camden. It was one of several terraces and crescents around Regent's Park designed by the British architect John Nash (1752”“1835) around the Park, having the patronage of the then Prince of Wales (later George IV) during the English Regency.The terrace was designed to stand opposite the Prince's proposed palace within the park and was therefore of particular importance in the scheme. It was named after the King's younger brother, the Duke of Cumberland. The Terrace was built by William Mountford Nurse, with James Thomson serving as resident architect, and was completed in 1826. It consists of three main blocks, linked together by decorative arches with typical neoclassical style and grandeur. The central block includes a large sculptural pediment above a long colonnade of Ionic columns. Cumberland Terrace remains in residential use: Originally comprising 31 houses, parts of it have now been converted into flats. A large number of the houses are still individual family homes. This first resident, William Mountford Nurse, moved into the terrace in 1828, the building was not fully occupied until 1836. The Terrace was used as a location for the filming of The Invasion (Doctor Who) in 1968.