Cumberland Island National Seashore

Edit profile
Cumberland Island National Seashore
Cumberland Island National Seashore preserves most of Cumberland Island in Camden County, Georgia, the largest of Georgia's Golden Isles. The seashore features beaches and dunes, marshes, and freshwater lakes. In addition to the natural features, the seashore includes some historic properties, such as the ruins of Dungeness and the Plum Orchard estate. The island is only accessible by boat. The visitor center and boat access to the island are located in the town of St. Marys, Georgia. Public access via the ferry is limited, reservations are recommended. Camping is allowed in the seashore. The 9,886-acre (40.01 km 2) Cumberland Island Wilderness is part of the seashore.

Cumberland Island National Seashore Museum
The Cumberland Island National Seashore Museum is located in St. Marys, Georgia on the mainland entrance to the seashore, across from the park's visitor center. Exhibits focus on the island's natural and cultural history, including the Timucua Indians, cotton plantations that were established by American Revolutionary hero General Nathaniel Greene and cotton-gin inventor Eli Whitney, the history of the ruined mansion Dungeness and the Plum Orchard estate, and area activities during the War of 1812. The museum is staffed by volunteers and is open on weekday afternoons.

Administrative history
The national seashore was authorized by Congress on October 23, 1972, and is administered by the National Park Service. The wilderness area was designated on September 8, 1982.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com