Crooked River Light
The Crooked River Light, also known as the Carrabelle Light, was built in 1895 to replace the Dog Island Light on Dog Island, which had been destroyed in 1875 by a hurricane. The location on the mainland allowed the light to serve as the rear range light for the channel to the west of Dog Island, used by ships in the lumber trade.

History
The Crooked River Lighthouse, built in 1895, replaced three lighthouses on Dog Island that over the years were destroyed by storms. The lightstation grounds originally included a house for both the Keeper and the Assistant Keeper, and several outbuildings. At first the lighthouse was painted metallic brown, then the lower half was painted white, and finally the present daymark of the upper half red and the lower half white was chosen. After being electrified in 1933, the lighthouse was automated and unmanned in 1952. In 1964 the two houses and all outbuildings were sold and removed from the site. The original 4th Order lens was removed by the Coast Guard in 1976, due to mercury leakage in the float container. The lens was replaced by a modern optic and this beacon remained in operation until the lighthouse was decommissioned in 1995. In 1999 the Carrabelle Lighthouse Association was formed to restore, preserve, and open the lighthouse to the public. This goal was achieved between 2007-2009. An acrylic replica of the original glass Fresnel lens was installed and the lighthouse serves as an aid to navigation once again.

Media

2 photos