Coronado Apartments
The Coronado Apartments are an apartment building located on 3751-73 Second Avenue (on the corner of Second and Selden) in Detroit, Michigan. It was designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1980 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

History
The Coronado Apartments were built in 1894 by George D. Nutt, a prominent Detroit builder, and the architectural firm of Mortimer Smith and Son. The building was one of the first apartment buildings in Detroit built for affluent middle class citizens at a time when apartment living was just becoming socially acceptable. The Coronado remained a fashionable address until the 1930s, when declining demand for large apartments, and increased demand for smaller units, led the Coronados owners to divide the formerly spacious apartments in two. No further renovation was done until 1982, when the owners began a restoration and remodeling project.

Architecture
The Coronado is a four-story Romanesque apartment building built on a high basement. It is constructed of yellow brick and rusticated sandstone with a flat roof and architecturally designed elevations on both the Second and Selden avenues sides. The Second Avenue facade is primarily symmetrical, with three entrances and open loggias on the floors above each. The facade is terminalted at the south end by a curved bay window and at the north (Selden) corner by a round turret. The building is divided horizontally, with rusticated sandstone forming the outer walls up through the second story, and yellow brick above. A broad cornice and wide panelled brick frieze, pierced with ventilation holes, tops the building.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com