Convent de Sant FrancescEdit profile
Catalan architect David Closes has recently renovated the Sant Francesc Church, located in the Catalan town of Santpedor, Spain. The building measures 950 sq ft and is part of a seven-year long project to restore and re-envision the historic church. Closes wanted to preserve the historical legacy of the building - which was built between 1721 and 1729 by Franciscan priests - in his impressive reinterpretation of religious space. In 2000 the convent was partly demolished by the state due to its ruinous appearance and fell into disuse. Closes completed the project in 2011 and he has left the rough, damaged facade of the building intact, preserving in its modernisation. Without losing sight of the architectural unity, the church is now an auditorium and multifunctional cultural space.
Description by http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com