Connecticut Avenue Bridge over Klingle ValleyEdit profile
The Connecticut Avenue Bridge over Klingle Valley, more commonly known as the Klingle Valley Bridge, is an Art Deco concrete bridge located near the Smithsonian National Zoological Park on Connecticut Avenue, Northwest in Washington, D.C. The bridge crosses Klingle Valley, running from Macomb Street to Devonshire Place and connecting the Cleveland Park and Woodley Park neighborhoods.
The bridge was designed by architect Paul Philippe Cret and engineer Ralph Modjeski. It was built in 1931–1932. There is no direct connection between Connecticut Avenue and Klingle Road in the narrow valley below. The bridge features two historic lights on each corner. A major rehabilitation of the bridge that began in 2005 included restored ornamental lanterns, refurbished masonry, and additional street lights. The restoration project was completed in 2008.
On May 21, 2004, the bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It is a contributing property to the Cleveland Park Historic District.