Connaught BuildingEdit profile
The Connaught Building is a historic office building in Ottawa, Canada, owned by Public Works and Government Services Canada. It is located on Sussex Drive just south of the American Embassy. To the east the building looks out on the Byward Market and to the west is MacKenzie Avenue and Majors Hill Park. By the early twentieth century the Parliament Buildings were running out of space to house Canada's civil service. The Tudor-Gothic structure was designed by chief architect David Ewart who did the similarly styled Victoria Memorial Building and Royal Canadian Mint. Work began on the building in 1913, but the First World War and other problems intervened, greatly slowing construction. The building was completed in 1916 and first used as the Customs Examining Warehouse by the customs department. The building was named after the Duke of Connaught, then Governor General. It originally had 1 basement level and 7 levels above ground. In 1971, the whole building underwent extensive renovation and two additional levels were created by building floors inside the high ceilings of the basement and ground floors. The building subsequently comprises 2 basement levels and 8 above grade levels (on the Sussex Drive side). The third floor also exits to MacKenzie Avenue at street level. Today it houses the headquarters the Canada Revenue Agency. The building has been designated a Federal Heritage Building of “Classified” Status, the highest level of recognition, since 1988.
Connaught Building National Historic Site of Canada Connaught Building front entrance Province Ontario Year built 1913 Architectural style Tudor-Gothic