Confederation BuildingEdit profile
The Confederation Building is located on Confederation Hill overlooking the Newfoundland & Labrador's capital city St. John's, and serves as the home of the Newfoundland and Labrador House of Assembly. The brick and concrete clad building has 11 stories and is 64 metres tall, it was completed during 1960 at a cost of $9 million to replace the Colonial Building. A lantern is located at the top of the copper roof of the central tower and acts as a beacon when turned on during the night.
During 1982 construction began on the West Block extension, a modern 7 storey structure, which is a six story building, with a gross floor area of 34,838 metres. The original building is now considered the East Block of the Confederation Building. A third building on the legislature campus is the Service Building Annex a two storey building housing a day care centre and garage for the provincial fleet.Complex
Confederation Building is in fact part of a complex of two buildings on the site:East Block
The main and largest of the two and the original building having the name and home to the House of Assembly.
It is also home to the senior government positions:
- Office of the Premier
- Executive Council
- Ministry of Business
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Justice
A separate building to the west of the East Block and home to the remaining government departments:
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Environment and Conservation
- Ministry of Government Services
- Ministry of Health and Community Services
- Ministry of Human Resources, Labour and Employment
- Ministry of Innovation, Trade and Rural Development
- Ministry of Labrador and Aboriginal Affairs
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs
- Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Recreation
- Ministry of Transportation and Works
A few other ministries are located in other offices offsite in St. John's:
- 40 Higgins Line - home to the Office of the Chief Information Officer
- Sir Brian Dunfield Building - Public Service Commission
- 29-31 Pippy Place - Research and Development Corporation
- Petten Building, Strawberry Marsh Road - Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture
- 25 Hallett Crescent - Fire and Emergency Services
- Natural Resources Building, 50 Elizabeth Avenue - Ministry of Natural Resources
Source:Statues and landmarks at the Legislature
A number of statutes and landmarks are located near the building:
- Gaspar Corte-Real - located southeast of the building.
- John Cabot - located at the foot of the steps at the East Block.
- Crest of the province located in front of the East Block.
- Flags of Britain, Newfoundland and Labrador and Canada fly in front of the building.
Coordinates: 47°35′00.27″N 52°43′25.71″W / 47.5834083°N 52.7238083°W / 47.5834083; -52.7238083