Conemaugh Generating Station
The Conemaugh Generating Station is a 1,711 MW baseload coal-powered plant located on 1,750 acres (7.1 km 2) at 40°23′05″N 79°03′49″W  /  40.38472°N 79.06361°W  / 40.38472; -79.06361 Coordinates: 40°23′05″N 79°03′49″W  /  40.38472°N 79.06361°W  / 40.38472; -79.06361 , across the Conemaugh River from New Florence in Western Pennsylvania. The station generates enough electricity to light 17 million 100-watt bulbs. The facility consists of two steam turbines, which began commercial operation in 1970 and 1971, and two cooling towers. The main turbines run on steam produced by twin year-around 850 MWe boilers, each as tall as a 14-story building. The plant uses more than 4 million tons of coal each year. Conemaugh has two hyperbolic natural draft cooling towers which provide recirculating water to cool and condense the steam and to limit the amount of water needed from the river. The plant employs about 200 people and is one of the largest employers in Indiana County. A consortium of Mid-Atlantic power companies owns the plant. PSEG Fossil owns a 22.5 percent share (384 net MW with peaker). Reliant Resources operates it. The plant is one of several in the area, situated near Pennsylvania deep mines and is basically a twin of the Keystone Generating Station, also partially owned by PSEG Power. To control emissions, the plant is equipped with electrostatic precipitators and low-NOx burners. A wet limestone flue gas desulfurization system was installed in the mid 1990s. The plant donated a particularly scenic portion of the site, known locally as Buttermilk Falls, to Indiana County for use as a wildlife refuge. Key Facts: Location: New Florence, PA MW: Baseload Coal - 1700, Peaking Oil - 11 Fuel: Coal, Oil Technology: Steam Commercial Operation: Unit 1: 1970, Unit 2: 1971 Ownership: 22.5% PSEG Fossil