Concord Point LightEdit profile
Concord Point Light is a lighthouse in Havre de Grace, Maryland, overlooking the point where the Susquehanna River flows into the Chesapeake Bay, an area of increasing navigational traffic at the time it was constructed in 1827. It was built by John Donahoo who built many lighthouses in Maryland. It is the most northerly lighthouse in Maryland and the oldest continuously-operated lighthouse in Maryland.
Concord Point Light is a 36-foot (10.97 m) tower that was built in 1827. It is the second oldest tower lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay and the oldest continuously-operated lighthouse in Maryland. The lighthouse is constructed of Port Deposit granite. The walls are 31 inches (79 cm) thick at the base and narrow to 18 inches (46 cm) at the parapet. John Donahoo also built the keeper's dwelling (known as the O'Neill House) across the street. The lantern was originally lit with 9 whale oil lamps with 16-inch (41 cm) tin reflectors. In 1854, a sixth-order Fresnel lens was installed. This was later upgraded to a fifth-order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse was automated in 1920.
The O'Neill family served as keepers at Concord Point from 1827 to the mid-1900s. The first O'Neill, John, defended the site of the lighthouse during the War of 1812. Local documents describe the lighthouse area as being "seriously blighted" by 1924, and apparently remained that way for many years. The lighthouse was decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1975 and soon after that the lens was stolen. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Extensive restoration began in 1979, and is ongoing, with plans to turn the old keeper's dwelling into a museum. The lighthouse is maintained by The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse. The tower is open to visitors Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 1:00 p.m. until 5 p.m., May through October. The grounds are open year-round.