Como Roundhouse, Railroad Depot and Hotel Complex

Edit profile
Como Roundhouse, Railroad Depot and Hotel Complex
The Como Roundhouse, Railroad Depot and Hotel Complex is a collection of historic buildings in Como, Colorado.

History
The Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad (DSPPR) reached Como in June of 1879. 1881 saw construction of the Como Roundhouse, which was built by Italian stonemasons that had settled in the Como area. The original stone section remains, preservation work was undertaken in the 1980's to the walls and roof. The Depot was constructed in 1879 and soon after extended to its current L shape. The Depot is currently under restoration for future use as a museum. The first Hotel on the site was the Gilman which opened for business on 1/1/1881. The Gilman was extended in 1882/3 and then taken over by the Union Pacific's hotel division in 1885. They improved the building, rebuilding and extending it. In November 1896 the building burnt to the ground. Part of the foundations and bricks salvaged from the fire were used in building the new existing hotel. Called the South Park Hotel by the Railroad, it seems to have been known locally as the Eating House. The last train through Como was in April 1937, the tracks were pulled up the following year.