College of Medicine of MarylandEdit profile
The College of Medicine of Maryland, or Davidge Hall, has been in continuous use for medical education since 1813, the oldest such structure in the United States . A wide pediment stands in front of a low, domed drum structure, which housed the anatomical theater. A circular chemistry hall was housed on the lower level under the anatomical theater. The dome is a Delormé structure, with small slats forming the dome. The design, originated by Philibert de l'Orme, was also used at Monticello. The portico is of wood construction with Doric columns. Davidge Hall was named for the founder and first dean of the College of Medicine of Maryland, Dr. John Davidge. Davidge, along with James Cocke and John Shaw, offered medical instruction in a small theater in late 1807. In November of that year a crowd broke into Davidge's small domed theater, took the cadaver and dragged it through the streets In December the Maryland General Assembly passed a bill establishing a college of medicine. A lot was obtained for construction of a building in 1811. Evidence exists that early design work may have been performed by Maximilian Godefroy, son-in-law of Dr. Crawford. Work began in 1812 and was completed the following year. The use of the name "Davidge Hall" did not appear until about 1959, when a previous campus building of the same name was demolished.