College of Art, Balsall Heath

The College of Art (grid reference SP078843) on Moseley Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham, England was built as the first municipal branch School of Art in Birmingham.


The College of Art in Balsall Heath subsequently became known as Moseley Secondary School of Art which was closed by the City of Birmingham Education Committee in 1975. The Moseley School of Art Association was established in 2002 as a forum for past students and teachers.


It was designed by W. H. Bidlake in 1899 and opened in 1900. It closed in 1975 and was then used by the British Association of Muslims. It stands directly opposite the Public Library and Baths. It is Grade II* listed.


Sources

  • Victorian Architecture in Britain - Blue Guide, Julian Orbach, 1987, ISBN 0-393-30070-6
  • Britain in Old Photographs: Balsall Heath and Highgate, Past and Present, Alan Hemming & Val Hart, 2003, ISBN 0-7509-2917-0
  • Details from listed building database (217426) . Images of England. English Heritage.
  • Buildings at Risk Register: Former+School+Art

Coordinates: 52°27′26.20″N 1°53′7.66″W / 52.457278°N 1.8854611°W / 52.457278; -1.8854611