College Avenue GymnasiumEdit profile
The College Avenue Gymnasium is an athletic facility on the campus of Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
It is the second gymnasium built on the site. The first was built in 1892 on the site of College Field, the former RU football field. The first collegiate game of American football was played on the site on November 6, 1869, with Rutgers beating Princeton University, 6 goals to 4 (roughly 42-28 under today's scoring).
The old gym burned down in 1930, and the replacement went up in 1931. Officially, it is the College Avenue Gymnasium, but it is known to the RU community as "The Barn." Most of the seating is in the form of a balcony on three sides, upstairs from the court level, giving the gym one of the most intimate settings in Eastern college basketball while it was RU's main venue for the sport. Seating capacity has been approximately 3,200 throughout its existence.
Rutgers reached its only NCAA Final Four in the 1975-76 season, going undefeated until losing to the University of Michigan in the National Semifinal. Home games at The Barn became festive affairs, with the crowd yelling so loudly that paint chips fell from the ceiling. RU knew it was time to build a bigger home court, and the Rutgers Athletic Center was built across the Raritan River in Piscataway in time for the 1977-78 season. It was renamed the Louis Brown Athletic Center in 1986.
The College Avenue Gym remains the home of RU's wrestling and volleyball teams, the Rutgers University Dance Marathon, as well as gym facilities for students, and there are no plans to replace it.
The current New Jersey State Constitution was written and adopted in a convention held at the College Avenue Gym in 1947.
Coordinates: 40°30′12″N 74°27′10″W / 40.5033°N 74.4527°W / 40.5033; -74.4527