Cold Spring Cemetery GatehouseEdit profile
The Cold Spring Cemetery Gatehouse is located along Peekshill Road in Nelsonville, New York, United States. It is a cut granite Gothic Revival cottage built in 1862, one of the earliest uses of that style in the Hudson Highlands. It is used as a house today and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. It is a one-story building of coursed granite with a jerkin roof cross- gabled on both north and south (front and back). The roof is pierced by a brick chimney; the arched projecting front entrance is flanked by lancet windows. The east facade, facing the cemetery, has a porch whose roof is supported by four pillars with decorative brackets. There is a projecting bay window on the west side. Both gables are topped by two dormer windows. Opposite the house is a small stone booth with lancet windows, connected to the cemetery's stone wall. The Cold Spring Rural Cemetery Association bought a 30-acre (12 ha) parcel in Nelsonville shortly after its formation in 1862. New York City architects Mead and Woodward were hired to design the grounds while Woodward's frequent collaborator George Harvey worked on the gatehouse, which closely resembles one in Woodward's pattern book, Woodward's Country Homes. It was finished by 1865 in time for its photograph to be used in the association's bylaws pamphlet.