Col. Monroe M. Shipe House

The Col. Monroe M. Shipe House is an historic two-story home in the Hyde Park historic district in Austin, Texas. The building was completed by Monroe Shipe, founder of Hyde Park, in 1892. It uses an eclectic combination of styles, including a Stick style form, Queen Anne decorations, and a flat concrete roof.

Shipe platted the entire neighborhood of Hyde Park, and designated the few blocks near his home to be a subdivision he called "Shadowlawn."

During renovation, it was discovered that the lumber in the home came from the grandstands of the State Fair of Texas which was once held nearby.

The home is located at 3816 Avenue G. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 29, 1983.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via