Cockpen and Carrington Parish Church

Edit profile
Cockpen and Carrington Parish Church
Cockpen and Carrington Parish Church is located to the south of the town of Bonnyrigg in Midlothian, Scotland. It is a congregation of the Church of Scotland. The parish includes the south side of the town of Bonnyrigg (including the new housing development at Hopefield), plus the rural area to the south of the town (including the village of Carrington). The current arrangement dates from 1975, when the parish churches of Cockpen and Carrington were united (and the former Carrington Parish Church ceased to be used). The former Carrington Parish Church building was built in 1711 (and has now been adapted for use as an open-plan office); until 1975 it was linked with Temple Parish Church in Midlothian (which is also now closed). Cockpen Parish Church (now Cockpen and Carrington Parish Church) was built in 1820 and is a Category A listed building; it is still in regular use. The current building replaced an older structure. The church's tower is unusually tall for a comparatively small church and is similar in design to that of Kilconquhar Parish Church in Fife.

Ministry
Cockpen and Carrington Parish Church is linked with Lasswade and Rosewell Parish Church and share a minister. The linkage with Lasswade started in 1977 and Rosewell in 1991. The Rev Matthew Ross was inducted as the new minister in July 2009; the previous minister was the Reverend Wendy Drake. Mr Ross was formerly minister at Ceres & Springfield Parish Church in Fife; followed by six years working with Conference of European Churches in Brussels.