Cluj-Napoca Reformed SynagogueEdit profile
The Neologue Synagogue (Romanian: Sinagoga Neologă or Templul Memorial al Deportaţilor ; Hungarian: Kolozsvári Neológ Zsinagóga, Emléktemplom) in Cluj-Napoca, Romania, is the city's only working synagogue, serving the local Jewish community. Located on Horea Street, it was built based on the plans of Izidor Hegner, an engineer, between 1886 and 1887. Seriously affected after attacks by the Iron Guard on September 13, 1927, it was soon rebuilt by the Romanian government.
In the period following the Second Vienna Award, when Northern Transylvania was returned to Hungary, it witnessed the Jews' deportation to Nazi extermination camps, and was damaged by the bombardments of the neighbouring railway station, on June 2, 1944. In 1951 it was again restored.
It is currently dedicated to the memory of those deported who were victims of The Holocaust.