Clifton Viaduct

Clifton Viaduct is a Grade II listed stone structure crossing the River Irwell in Clifton, Greater Manchester, and also the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal. It is known locally as 'The 13 arches'. It is currently disused and closed to the public.

History

The viaduct was constructed in 1846 to carry trains from Manchester to Rossendale along the Manchester, Bury and Rossendale Railway, over the Irwell Valley. It has 13 arches. The line was closed in 1966. The viaduct passes another notable structure, Clifton Aqueduct.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com