Clement C. Clay BridgeEdit profile
The Clement C. Clay Bridge (CC Clay or Whitesburg Bridge) are two bridges that span the Tennessee River just south of Huntsville in northern part of the U.S. State of Alabama. Both bridges are cantilever truss types. The original bridge span was built in 1931 replacing Whites Ferry which crossed the river at nearby Ditto's Landing. The second span was constructed in 1965. Upon completion, the newer span carried southbound traffic while the original span carried northbound traffic. The Clay bridge was named after former Alabama Governor and Senator Clement Comer Clay.
The 1931 span was replaced by a reinforced concrete structure, which opened in June 2006. Demolition of the original span began on August 16, 2006. Construction was expected to begin in 2007 on a second reinforced concrete structure to replace the 1965 span.
The bridge carries US 231 and hidden route AL 53 between Huntsville (Huntsville Metropolitan Area) and Morgan County (Decatur Metropolitan Area). Before the 1952 extension of US 231, the bridge carried AL 38.