Claypotts Castle
Claypotts Castle is a medieval castle located in the suburban West Ferry area of Dundee, Scotland.

History
The castle was originally built by John Strachan around the period of 1569 and 1588 according to dates inscribed on stones that make up parts of the castle, which make its construction longer than usual for such a small building. The land on which the castle was built was originally leased by the Strachan family from Tironensian Abbey of Lindores starting in the early sixteenth century. In 1601 the Strachan family sold the castle to Sir William Graham of Ballunie who later sold it to Sir William Graham of Claverhouse. The castle became the property of the crown in 1689 after the death of the then current owner Viscount Dundee John Graham of Claverhouse at the battle of Killiecrankie. In 1694 the castle was gifted to James Douglas, 2nd Marquess of Douglas. The castle later became the property of his son the Duke of Douglas and after his death in 1761 became the subject of a legal battle for the next eight years until the courts ruled Archibald Douglas to be heir. Ownership later passed to the 13th Earl of Home through marriage who later gifted the castle to the state in 1926. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland

Architecture
The castle consists of projecting towers at opposite sides of a rectangular main block known as a z-plan tower house. This was a popular design in the sixteenth century and allowed for defenders to fire along the faces of the main block from both towers. Although it is doubtful that the castle would have had much of a role to play in defence due to the domestic scale of the castle.