Claymont Stone SchoolEdit profile
The Claymont Stone School, also known as Naaman’s Creek School #1, is a historic schoolhouse built in 1805 on land donated by John Dickinson, located in Claymont, Delaware on the Philadelphia Pike just south of the Darley House. The school was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. Its official Delaware State Historic Markerindicates that the school "...may have been the first racially integrated public school in the State."
The original building was renovated in 1905 and expanded to become a two room schoolhouse, serving the neighborhood of Claymont and the rural Naaman's Creek area as a school until the 1924-25 school year when the Green Street School was built.
In 1928, the Stone School was converted to serve as a community center and public library until 1988, when it was deemed structurally unsound. It stood empty and the school district considered tearing it down until a group called Friends of the Claymont Stone School intervened to save the building, raising funds for its renovation and conversion into a museum and heritage center, completed in 2002.