Claremont Riding Academy
The Claremont Riding Academy, also known as Claremont Stables, the last riding stable in Manhattan, was located at 175 West 89th Street between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues in New York City. It was designed by Frank A. Rooke and built in 1892. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places Now closed, Claremont was the oldest continuously operated equestrian stable in New York City .

The former Claremont Riding Academy stables (1892) on West 89th Street in the Upper West Side was built to designs by architect Frank Rooke in 1892. It originally began as a livery stable and then later was converted to a riding academy. It was the city's last standing public riding stable. There was an attempt at Urban Renewal in the area in the 1960s that would have destroyed the structure, but it was deflected by preservationists who gave the building borrowed time .

Claremont was a very sophisticated yet homey environment. It was an unusual multistory barn, its floors connected by ramps, housed its horses in individual stalls in the basement and on the second floor. There was an indoor riding ring, but it was quite small and obstructed by posts. Claremont gave riding lessons and did rent horses to experienced riders to ride on the bridle paths in Central Park. There were jumping, dressage, group and private lessons. There were about 15-20 instructors. The location of the stable made for an unusual experience in the equestrian world: riding in heavy traffic. The stable was not in Central Park itself, but a block and a half away. Getting to the park required riding a horse on Manhattan streets, mixed in with the regular traffic, and crossing Central Park West.

Final days
The Academy was dependent on the structural condition of the bridle paths in nearby Central Park, as this was the primary designated area for horseback riding in Manhattan. At some point, the city allowed the bridle paths to be used by pedestrians, joggers, bicyclists and others along with discontinuing structural maintenance of the paths themselves. With the overuse of the paths in combination with the city's discontinuance of maintenance, riders were no longer able to canter on the pathways, ending one of the pleasures of horseback riding which deterred new ridership. Due to declining patronage and increasing cost from renovations and taxes, Claremont closed forever at 5 p.m. April 29, 2007. It was rumored that the building will be converted into condominiums. According to Joanne Meszoly's article in Equus magazine's July 2007 issue #358, the fate of the building is unknown.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via