City Hall, CardiffEdit profile
City Hall is a civic building in Cathays Park, Cardiff, Wales. Built of Portland stone, it became the fifth building to serve as Cardiff's centre of local government when it opened in October 1906. The competition to design a town hall and adjacent law courts for Cardiff was won in 1897 by the firm of Lanchester, Stewart and Rickards. Cardiff received its city charter while construction was underway, in 1905. The building is an important early example of the Edwardian Baroque style.The Marble Hall
The first floor landing of City Hall is decorated with statues in Pentelicon marble of famous figures from Welsh history. These were funded by a gift from David Alfred Thomas, 1st Viscount Rhondda; the personages to be commemorated were decided by a competition in the Western Mail. The Marble Hall was unveiled by David Lloyd George, then Secretary of State for War, on October 27, 1916.
- Boudica by J. Havard Thomas
- Saint David by Sir William Goscombe John
- Hywel Dda (King Howell the Good) by F. W. Pomeroy
- Gerald of Wales by Henry Poole
- Llywelyn Ein Llyw Olaf (Llywelyn II, the last ruling Prince of Wales) by Henry Albert Pegram
- Dafydd ap Gwilym by W. W. Wagstaff
- Owain Glyndŵr by Alfred Turner
- Henry VII by Ernest Gillick
- Bishop William Morgan by T. J. Clapperton
- William Williams, Pantycelyn by L. S. Merrifield
- Sir Thomas Picton by T. Mewburn Crook
The cover of the Catatonia single "Mulder and Scully" has a UFO above the building similar to the movie poster for Independence Day.