Church of the Resurrection and All Saints, Caldy

Edit profile
Church of the Resurrection and All Saints, Caldy
The Church of the Resurrection and All Saints, Caldy is in the village of Caldy, Wirral, England ( grid reference SJ225852 ). The church is a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Wirral North. It is a daughter church of St Bridget's Church, West Kirby.

History
This was built originally as a school to a design by G. E. Street in 1868 at the expense of Elizabeth Barton. It was converted to a church, with the addition of a chancel, a north aisle and a saddleback tower in 1906”“07 by Douglas and Minshall. The church was refurbished in the 1960s.

Architecture

Structure
The church is built in rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings. The roof is of slate with tiles on the crest. The plan consists of a nave with a north aisle, a baptistry and a south porch, a chancel with a north vestry and a saddleback tower at the northeast.

Fittings and furniture
Many of the furnishings are by Kempe and were taken from the chapel of Caldy Manor which was dismantled when the church was built. These include the choirstalls and the reredos. The reredos has panels of marquetry depicting the crucifixion. Some of the stained glass in the church is by Kempe and the southwest window is by A. J. Davies of the Bromsgrove Guild. The church contains many memorials to the Barton family. In the vestry is a fireplace with a coat of arms dated 1868. The two- manual organ was built by Henry Willis & Sons.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create_many
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com