Church of the Holy ComforterEdit profile
The Church of the Holy Comforter, built in 1860, is a Gothic Revival church located on Davies Street, near the train station in Poughkeepsie, New York, United States, a few blocks from the Hudson River. Its steeples are prominently visible to traffic passing through the city since the construction of the elevated US 9 expressway in 1965.
The congregation first formed in 1854 as Christ Church. Six years later, it had incorporated and hired Richard Upjohn, a prominent architect noted for his churches, to design a building. His original plans are on file at Columbia University's Avery Library. The cornerstone was laid on October 25, 1860. Holy Comforter is a cruciform church with walls of local bluestone. Inside, the original pews are still in place and the vaulted ceiling is supported with Carpenter Gothic-style wooden ribs.
It is now known as the Parish of the Holy Comforter in the Diocese of the Resurrection of the Holy Catholic Church (Anglican Rite) and is no longer affiliated with the Episcopal Church. On April 13, 1972, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It is also a contributing property to the Mill Street-North Clover Street Historic District listed on the Register later that year.