Church of St James, LiverpoolEdit profile
Church of St James, Toxteth, Liverpool, England dates from 1774, and was built by Cuthbert Bisbrowne. This building is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the area of Toxteth. It is a rectangular building made of brick, with round-topped windows and castellated square tower. The cast iron columns supporting the gallery are Liverpool's oldest. It is situated in a rectangle bordered by Upper Parliament Street, Upper Stanhope Street, St James' Place, and Chesterfield Street. Although the church was purposely built in 1774, it did not gain its own parish until 1844. It has been enlarged several times since then. It is a Grade II* listed building. From about 1900 the churchyard was closed for interments and was appropriated and part was used to widen St James' Place, the remaining part of the yard was converted into ornamental gardens which are still open to the public.
The church closed in 1971 and in September 2009 reopened its doors as St. James' in the City and describes itself as "a modern model of church in response to a modern city culture". It is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.