Church of King Charles the Martyr, Falmouth

Edit profile
Church of King Charles the Martyr, Falmouth

The Church of King Charles the Martyr (Cornish: Eglos Karol Myghtern ha Merther) is a parish church in the Church of England located in Falmouth, Cornwall.

History

The foundation stone was laid in August 1662 and the church was consecrated in 1665 by Seth Ward, Bishop of Exeter.

A chancel was added in 1684, and galleries between 1686 and 1703. The tower of 1684 was raised in 1800 and a clock was added.

The church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1896 and the galleries were removed. The tower was re-roofed in 1906 and electric lighting introduced in 1907.

List of Rectors (incomplete)
  • John Bedford
  • Walter Quarme ca. 1684
  • I. W. Wilbraham
  • Lewis Mathias
  • William John Coope 1838 - 1870
  • Brian Christopherson 1882 - 1912
  • Henry Hugh King 1912 - 1918
  • M. B. Williamson 1918 - 1923 (afterwards Archdeacon of Bodmin)
  • J. P. Hodges ???? - 1955
  • Thomas Barfett 1955 - 1977 (afterwards Archdeacon of Hereford)
  • Canon Roger Gilbert 1986 - 2002
Organ

The pipe organ was built by Hele & Co of Plymouth in 1881, and was situated in the Warrior Chapel. In 1914 the organ chamber was built and the organ moved to its present position.

A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.

List of organists
  • Edward Kendall ca. 1755
  • Mr. Parnell ca. 1815
  • George James Webb ???? - 1830
  • Joseph Hale Coggins, 1831–1846
  • Robert E. Clark 1900 - ca. 1912 (formerly organist of Winkfield Parish Church, Windsor)
  • Ewart West ca. 1921 (previously organist of Moreton-in-Marsh).
  • ?
  • Gordon Hall 1927 - 1972
  • Edward Goldsmith 1974 -
  • ?? Greene
  • Peter Young ???? - 2001
  • John Charles Winter 2001 - 2007 (formerly organist of Truro Cathedral)
  • Christopher Uren 2007 - 2010 ??
Famous burials
  • James Cunningham, 14th Earl of Glencairn
Source
  • The Buildings of England, Cornwall. Nikolaus Pevsner

Media

1 photo

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com